Monday, January 21, 2013

January Jones

This time of year, I often find myself wondering why I choose to endure the rigors of winter in east Idaho.  It's a pretty abrupt change from what I grew up with in Miami and significantly colder than the nine winters I spent in Colorado.

Most years, I've got a February trip to the tropics to look forward to, but not this year.  The recession has taken a toll on my business and an early spring salt trip may not be feasible.

Sometimes - in the deep, dark chill of mid-winter - it helps to pull up pictures from the summer in east Idaho.  It's a great reminder that our summers here make our winters well worth the effort.  

Here are a few of my personal favorite reminders...

South Fork of the Snake - Swan Valley, ID

Railroad Ranch - Henry's Fork River - Last Chance, ID

High Mountain Creek Cutty - Undisclosed Location

Dinner on the Patio at Trouthunter - Last Chance, ID

Epic July Rainstorm - South Fork of the Snake - Swan Valley, ID

PMD FTW - South Fork of the Snake River - Heise, ID

Carpin' in Shorts and Sneakers - Blackfoot Reservoir

Teton River Tributary - Driggs, ID

Late Afternoon Flavs...   

...and the Fish Who Feed on Them.

Heck yeah, the winters are worth it.

11 comments:

  1. I do the same Brent...bust out the photos! You had a monster year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks brother. You too. Looking forward to experiencing summer on the Big C in June!

      Delete
  2. This snow and cold weather has got to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed brother. This was supposed to be a "warm La Nina pattern winter." Ha!

      Over it.

      Delete
  3. Great overview of your summer season. Recognize most all of those places pictured. I will miss my time on those waters, but have to admit, I don't miss the numbing winter! Hoping all is getting better with your Frostbite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel.

      Were you in Idaho Falls? How long ago did you leave?

      Brent

      Delete
    2. Brent, lived and fished out of Idaho Falls and Jimmy's All Seasons Angler for over (25) years. Retired from work in 2012, moved back to Colorado where my kids were born to enjoy the Big Thompson and Northern Colorado. Thanks for sharing on your blog, it helps me when I get too missing some fabled waters.

      Delete
  4. It's 80 deg here today and the redfish are tailing up skinny! I've got a couch you can crash on, just sayin' :D Always down to trade trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I am sooo ready to take you up on that Austin. I need my salt fix even worse than I need my "warm" fix.

      Same here - any time you want to get into some trout up here, let me know. We also have a huge reservoir full of 10-40 lb. mirror carp. You would love it.

      Brent

      Delete
  5. Nice shots, just remember....all that snowpack feeds those rivers. I'm in CO now and we've had 70 degree weather for a week. I like shorts weather as much as next guy, but the snowpack is at 52% of normal in our drainage. I'm a bit worried...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, but I am 100% good with snow.

      What I am not good with, however, is multiple weeks of sub-zero temperatures where spending time outside can be sketchy.

      Hopefully you Colorado guys will soon get a couple of those huge 2'+ snowdumps that come each spring.

      Delete