Monday, February 11, 2013

Gear Review: RIO Products Power Fly Line

Here in east Idaho, we are blessed with multiple fisheries where sizable trout pursue large forage in the winter.  While my friends in Colorado are fishing a size 22 RS2 on 6X tippet, I am throwing large flies that mimic sculpin, small perch and juvenile trout. Given this, I was excited to try RIO Products' Power Fly freshwater line this winter. 

The Power Fly line is designed to cast large, heavy flies.  It's got a beefy front-loaded taper and slick line coating to help throw accurate volleys with large artillery.  

Perhaps the most unique aspect, however, is the weight of the line.  It's slightly heavier than industry standards, so it loads my two seven weight rods more powerfully than most other lines.  This is beneficial while casting large flies - especially in windy conditions.




Field Testing - Phase I - Trout
The Power Fly line performed well while targeting trout on local rivers with streamer and nymphing techniques.  Whether casting double streamer rigs or large nymphs under an indicator, it turned over flies with ease and the coldwater line coating made shooting line a breeze. Mending was a simple task as the line stayed buoyant - even while drifting heavy nymphs on long leaders.

While the line is more than capable of throwing large streamers, I still prefer a sink tip or full-sink line for swinging flies through deep runs and dark winter holding water.  To be fair, however, that's not what this line was designed for and it excels at its intended objectives.  Moving forward, this will be my "go to" line for fishing streamers on shallower rivers and heavy nymphs in all conditions.

Field Testing - Phase II - Carp on the Flats
One of my initial concerns about the line, given its stout front taper, was presentation.  Sure it can volley large weighted flies, but can it do so without slapping the water?

I decided to test the line on the spookiest carp I've ever encountered.  This time of year, the fish stage on a 24" deep flat to take advantage of the warmth provided by a small underground spring outlet.  These fish are acutely aware of their vulnerability in the shallow, clear water and your presentation here is critical.

The Power Fly line turned over my weighted flies and extra-long leaders without disturbing the water's surface, resulting in multiple hook-ups.

I have to admit, the line far exceeded my expectations in this respect.
Summary
The Power Fly line is available in weight forward floating profiles for six weight to ten weight rods. 

It is an excellent line for anyone throwing large streamers to pike, trout, muskies or bass.  I also recommend it highly to anyone casting heavy stonefly nymphs or large, wind-resistant dry flies such as chernobyls, hoppers or stimulators.

I will have this line spooled and ready when the skwalas, golden stones and salmonflies show up around here in the coming months.

10 comments:

  1. Well done review, Brent. Sounds like ideal line for your intended purposes. Rio makes some great lines! Is it affordable for us ol' geezers in Colorado? There are days when we don't fish the small midges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. The line is priced at $74.95.

      Also - FYI, I sent you a facebook message re: the juvenile perch pattern.

      Take care,

      Brent

      Delete
  2. What size line did you use for the carp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin, I used the 7 weight line. I usually fish a 7 or 8 weight on our local carp, depending upon wind conditions and fly sizing.

      Brent

      Delete
  3. As a RIO fan I'm not surprised, might be my next carp line, thanks!

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gregg. Hope you are doing great.

      Brent

      Delete
  4. Great review Brent. Interesting bit about using that particular line with carp. I'm surprised you didn't have more trouble with it spooking the fish. I quit using a bass bug taper with my 7 wt. for carp fishing because of that. Sounds like you were able to compensate with a long leader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ty.

      I hear ya. I really didn't expect much on the spooky carp, but it actually laid it down in stealth mode.

      Take care,

      Brent

      Delete
  5. Rio lines rock. Great review, Brent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Mr. P. I agree. I've never had a bad experience with RIO lines.

      Delete